What courses after 12th for being an astronaut?
+ Ask a Question
Discussion Title:

I'm in 12 standard and i wanna be an astronaut, what courses should I prefer after 12 and what are the best universities/colleges/institutes in & outside Delhi/India for bachelor's degree for astronomy? Also what gets more preference now-a-days:astronautical engineering, aeronautical engineering, aerospace engineering, astrophysics or something else for being in the field of astronomy?

There is no university in India which offers an undergraduate programme in Astronomy but you can get a B.Sc. in Physics or Engineering subjects and apply for a Master's degree programme in Astronomy/Astrophysics. At the Master's and Ph.D levels, there are several options. You need a sound base in mathematics and physics at the undergraduate level.

If you want to do instrumentation/ experimental astronomy, you may go in for the engineering option. On the other hand, if you want to do theoretical astronomy or observations, you may go through the science stream.

Some colleges to consider for M.Sc. in astronomy/astrophysics studies after completing you bachelors:
    Osmania University, Hyderabad
    Swami Ramanand Teerth Marathwada University
    The Indian Institute of Science (IISc.), Bangalore
    The Indian Institute of Astrophysics, Bangalore
    Harish Chandra Research Institute, Allahabad
    The Inter-University Centre for Astronomy and Astrophysics, Pune
    The National Centre for Radio Astrophysics, Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Pune
    Physical Research Laboratory, Ahmedabad
    Raman Research Institute, Bangalore

+ Reply to Post