A leader is expected to lead the team into success through building an environment that stretches and yet encouraging growth.
In a recent study by TowersWatson, an international HR consulting firm, fewer than 21 percent of employees surveyed described themselves as "highly engaged," down from 31 percent in 2009. 8 percent admitted to being fully disengaged.
When your talented employees are engaged, they are able to perform spectacularly and build and improve your business.
Here we have shortlisted a few do’s and Don’ts that you should keep in mind while handling and managing your team:
Do’s while handling a team
· Identify Your Goals:
-Set daily or weekly targets your team must meet.
-Use sticky notes, make a checklist and paste them on the pin board next to your work station.
-Review your list frequently; keep revising it from time to time.
Know Your Team:
-Know the strengths and weaknesses of each team member to balance the productivity of your team.
Interact with Team Members
-Regular one-on-one meetings are critical and are important aspect in managing your team well.
-Often sit with your team members, in case they are not performing well know what is the disturbing them etc.
Give feedback on Performance:
- Discuss the previous week’s deliverables; including what went well, what areas require improvement for next time and how that improvement might be obtained.
Jot Down Minutes of the Meeting:
-Ask your team members to jot down minutes and then circulate the same with everyone in the team
-Very important practice, tells you what is supposed to be done and what is the way forward.
Ask for ideas:
- Ask your team members to come up with newer and fresher ideas from time to time.
- Rotate a mail amongst the members asking them to provide great innovative ideas and the one giving the best idea can be rewarded in some form.
-Motivation is the key for continuing results.
-Ask them what motivates enough for doing the job well
-Hold sessions for them, site examples etc.
- Recognition is an effective tool. If you have the authority, give your team mate a half day.
- Incentive is also a good option in providing recognition to the students
Don’ts’s while handling a team:
· Don't reprimand
-Don’t hurt any team member in front of other members
-Discuss the issue personally
· Avoid Long Hours at Work
- As managers; you might have certain benefits or incentives which the company provides. Don’t forget that you need to maintain a balance in your personal and professional life.
-Come on time, leave on time
Don’t Get Angry
-People can commit mistakes, they are humans
-Explain the team mates in a sober and polite way
· Don’t Bully Your Team
-If the work has been assigned to any of your team mate, let them receive the credit for the same.
- Don’t hide too many things from your team mates, involve them let them know the vision of the company where it is heading etc.
Be the LEADER!