What are the best courses in Arts/Humanities after 12th?
+ Ask a Question
Discussion Title:

Role
    Student

Hello, I am studying in class 11th in Medical with maths. I was interested in taking Arts/Humanities as my stream but my parents did not let me. Well, there is no turning back now but I am pretty sure I am going to take up a humanities subject. It's just that..I don't know which one..which one will be the best for me. I am also good in writing and interested in economics too, what would be the best course for me which could give a decent career in the future?

Also, please tell me which colleges are the best for humanities subjects/english/economics. Delhi is favored for the location, Thank you.

Role
    Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by kartikeya View Post
    Hello, I am studying in class 11th in Medical with maths. I was interested in taking Arts/Humanities as my stream but my parents did not let me. Well, there is no turning back now but I am pretty sure I am going to take up a humanities subject. It's just that..I don't know which one..which one will be the best for me. I am also good in writing and interested in economics too, what would be the best course for me which could give a decent career in the future?

Also, please tell me which colleges are the best for humanities subjects/english/economics. Delhi is favored for the location, Thank you.
    Just in case you're interested, Change of subject(s) in class XI may be allowed by the Head of the School but not later than 31st of October of that academic session.

Regarding courses after 12th in Arts/Humanities, you can opt for a Bachelor's of Arts (BA) and then a post graduation in Master in Arts (MA). You can also pursue your research and doctorate degree in the same stream. Subjects you can choose from: English, History, Geography, Psychology, Sociology, Philosophy and Political Science. You need a pretty good score in Class XII board exams in able to qualify for the steep cutoffs of University of Delhi.

Following is the eligibility criteria laid down by one of the colleges of University of Delhi.

B.A.(Hons) Economics:
    One language out of Core/Elective/Functional English and three best elective subjects.
    Minimum 50% marks in aggregate. Minimum 50% marks in Mathematics/Business Mathematics .
    Hindi, Sanskrit, Other language, and Vocational subjects will NOT be considered.

B.A.(Hons) English:
    Minimum 60% marks in English(Functional/Core/Elective);
    Minimum of 60% in aggregate in Best of Four including English
    A Candidate must have his/her CATE Score which will be calculated on a 30:70 ratio(class XII aggregate marks : CATE Score)

Below I've enclosed the list of top colleges for arts courses.

1. Lady Shri Ram College for Women,New Delhi
    2. St. Stephen's College,New Delhi
    3. Hindu College,New Delhi
    4. Miranda House,New Delhi
    5. Hansraj College,New Delhi
    6. Jesus and Mary College,New Delhi
    7. Ramjas College,New Delhi
    8. Sri Venkateshwara College,New Delhi
    9. Indraprastha College for Women,New Delhi
    10. Gargi College,New Delhi

Role
    Student
    Quote Originally Posted by counselor View Post
    Just in case you're interested, Change of subject(s) in class XI may be allowed by the Head of the School but not later than 31st of October of that academic session.

Regarding courses after 12th in Arts/Humanities, you can opt for a Bachelor's of Arts (BA) and then a post graduation in Master in Arts (MA). You can also pursue your research and doctorate degree in the same stream. Subjects you can choose from: English, History, Geography, Psychology, Sociology, Philosophy and Political Science. You need a pretty good score in Class XII board exams in able to qualify for the steep cutoffs of University of Delhi.

Following is the eligibility criteria laid down by one of the colleges of University of Delhi.

B.A.(Hons) Economics:
    One language out of Core/Elective/Functional English and three best elective subjects.
    Minimum 50% marks in aggregate. Minimum 50% marks in Mathematics/Business Mathematics .
    Hindi, Sanskrit, Other language, and Vocational subjects will NOT be considered.

B.A.(Hons) English:
    Minimum 60% marks in English(Functional/Core/Elective);
    Minimum of 60% in aggregate in Best of Four including English
    A Candidate must have his/her CATE Score which will be calculated on a 30:70 ratio(class XII aggregate marks : CATE Score)

Below I've enclosed the list of top colleges for arts courses.

1. Lady Shri Ram College for Women,New Delhi
    2. St. Stephen's College,New Delhi
    3. Hindu College,New Delhi
    4. Miranda House,New Delhi
    5. Hansraj College,New Delhi
    6. Jesus and Mary College,New Delhi
    7. Ramjas College,New Delhi
    8. Sri Venkateshwara College,New Delhi
    9. Indraprastha College for Women,New Delhi
    10. Gargi College,New Delhi
    Thanks a lot! That was very informative. I am aware that I could change my stream but my family won't allow me and exams are anyways around the corner so changing my stream now would be pointless. Little sad that 5 of those colleges are for women I have one more question regarding CATE exam. Pretty naive question but, will the CATE exam be hard for a student who has scored overall A2 in English Language without upgradation in Class X? How do people normally score in CATE and what is the syllabus for it. Thanks again

One more thing, I was searching for any mass communication courses in DU and could not find any, does DU have mass comm in it? Which place is the best to do mass communications?

Role
    Student

hello mam/sir i am passed my 12 standerd in year 2009.because of some reason i have dropped my studies,i am interested in doing fine Arts but because of financial constrains i am not be able too do so.now my question is, is it better option for me to do b,a from IGNOU ,nd after that m.a.in same stream? please reply i am very much confused about my carrier.
    regards-
    Samiran Majumdar

+ Reply to Post