Which course is more affordable MBA or PGDM ?
+ Ask a Question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Discussion Title:

Role
    Mentor

I am looking for 2 year full time MBA programs form from one of the reputed college of Pune but i have there are many other colleges offering the PGDM programs in various subject. So now i am little bit confuse between PGDM and MBA Programs. Please help me to find the suitable one for me.

Role
    Student
    MBA is much better than PGDM. It will give you great career options but you should choose a good university and you will be very happy by your decision.

Role
    Student
    I think you should go with M.B.A. This course will provide you more efficiency to career opportunities. I think that will be the great option for you.

Role
    Student
    Investment Banking short term courses are the best for someone aspiring career in finance.

Here is a list,
    IFAP – Financial Analyst Program
    CIBOP – Certified Investment Banking Operations Professional
    BACP – Business Analysis Certified Professional
    CIBIT – Certified Investment Banking IT Professional
    BAP – Business Analytics Professional

Role
    Student
    Hi Abhiroy,

People often end up getting confused between MBA & PGDM. PGDM is run by autonomous body.While taking up PDGM, the advantage you get is that it being an autonomous body, they regularly update their syllabus so one can say as compared to MBA courses. Whereas an MBA, this change happens every 3-5 years. While selecting a college you should consider parameters like Infrastructure,Courses offered and so on. Mumbai has very good institutes for both. So do consider Mumbai as one of the top option on your list of cities for education.

Role
    Student
    Hi Abhiroy,
    The basic difference between MBA and PGDM is that MBA is for everyone but PGDM is basically for working executives or people who have some experience. As far as fee is considered, it differs from college to college.. also it depends on the specialization you are going for! Today most of the MBA/PGDM programs have achieved saturation point. I would advise you to look for fresher courses which are unconventional like PGDM in Sports Mgmt.
    This program is made to cater to the escalating demand for Sports management professionals. The program will translate the students' passion for sports into professional skills to manage the business as well as the marketing aspects of Sports and allied disciplines.

Role
    Student
    Both study profile have their own values. I would say MBA is a better opton as per career. MBA is for everyone but PGDM is basically for working executives or people who have some experience.

Most aspiring managers who want to pursue management studies to give a boost to their careers are very often a confused lot. They want to get the maximum return on their fees and hence do everything it takes to get a degree from one of the renowned B-Schools of the country. In an attempt to make it to IIMs, XLRI or Symbiosis, these students are willing to spend as much time and money as required. They join coaching classes, take practice exams and have mock interviews to make it to the best of the lot.

However, one thing that really confuses them is to go for a MBA from a recognised university or PGDM (Post Graduate Diploma in Management) from IIMs. Let us help you understand the basic difference between the two in India-:

1) Only universities can offer MBA: In India only those management institutes which are affiliated to a university can offer an MBA degree. For this reason institutes like Department of Management Sciences (PUMBA), University of Pune, Jamnalal Bajaj Institute of Management Studies or Faculty of Management Studies can offer MBA degree, as they are affiliated with Pune, Mumbai and Delhi University respectively. Also IIMs, though being the best of the lot, can't offer MBAs as they are not affiliated with any university. Institutes which are not affiliated to university are autonomous and can offer PGDM (Post Graduate Diploma in Management) degree. However, some of these programmes are approved by regulatory bodies such as AICTE.

2) Difference in focus of curriculum: While there are huge similarities in the curriculum of both MBA and PGDM, there are finer points of difference. While MBA focuses more on theoretical aspects of management and is more exam-oriented, PGDM has a focus on building soft skills and is industry-oriented. It prepares you for the job market.

3) Curriculum of PGDM is flexible: Since an autonomous institute does not have to follow university standards, it is free to change its curriculum according to industry standards and change in business environment. Also a PGDM gives you an industry exposure. Whereas it will take time to change the curriculum for MBAs as it is affiliated with a university and it will essentially follow the university guidelines and changing this curriculum is a very slow process.

4) MBAs are more affordable: In compared to PGDM, generally MBAs are more affordable as the fees is almost similar to university standard. You can get a rough idea if you compared the fees of IIM and FMS.

5) Difference in focus: An MBA will help in developing technical skills and business knowledge whereas a PGDM will prepare graduates for senior level positions in industry and paves the way for a strong corporate career. Hence, if you're looking for a career in the challenging area of management, you should go for PGDM.

However, one should remember that it is not important whether a student pursues PGDM or MBA. The institution where he is studying is of supreme importance and enhances their employability. If you pursue your management studies from a reputed college which is recognised and offers decent placements, then your chances of employment and going abroad get enhanced.

Role
    Organisation
    Online MBA programs are more affordable than regular ones. These programs are really beneficial for working professionals who cannot attend a regular course. Online MBA providers offers 1 year Executive MBA along with other online programs for the duration of 1 year and 2 years.

Role
    Organisation
    MBA is the better option. You will get good career opportunities after the completion of your degree.

+ Reply to Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast