CBSE vs ICSE - which board is better? 2014
+ Ask a Question
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Discussion Title:

CBSE vs ICSE - which board is better?

CBSE vs ICSE - which board is better?

Help me decide between the three popular boards of India for Class X admission of my child. The factors I'm looking for while comparing the two is availability of school nearby my home (CBSE scores here), applicability in universities abroad, quality of curriculum and marking system. Since I live in Delhi, I kept the state boards out of this discussion so CBSE and ICSE are the only two options for me to find the difference in.

Quote Originally Posted by charu View Post
    Help me decide between the three popular boards of India for Class X admission of my child. The factors I'm looking for while comparing the two is availability of school nearby my home (CBSE scores here), applicability in universities abroad, quality of curriculum and marking system. Since I live in Delhi, I kept the state boards out of this discussion so CBSE and ICSE are the only two options for me.
    Both have their pros and cons, there's nothing best in this world. Choose wisely.

CBSE approves both English and Hindi language as the medium of instructions, CISCE or ICSE does not recommend Hindi.
    CBSE allows both regular candidates as well as private candidates from non-affiliated schools to appear in the exams.
    CBSE is recognized by Indian government and ICSE is not.
    CBSE is comparatively easier than ICSE, syllabus wise.
    ICSE lays more emphasis on lab work.
    ICSE has made it compulsory to include environmental education as one of the subjects

via http://www.edukal.com/cbse-vs-icse/

Role
    Student

Cbsc or icsa

Dear friends,
    My mind according, CBSE Board is better if your Decision take a good cbse ya icse . Some government college ya goverment job only allowed CBSE. so i hope you concerned to any other person.

One cannot say that any one board is better than the other.

The CBSE Chennai region, comprising Andaman and Nicobar Islands, Andhra Pradesh, Daman and Diu, Goa, Karnataka, Kerala, Lakshadweep, Maharashtra, Puducherry and Tamil Nadu, scored 91.32 % overall pass percentage this year. ICSE western region, which comprises Mumbai, Pune, Ahmedabad and Goa, had a pass percentage of 99.63 %. Despite the so-called Ďburdení, ICSE secured a higher pass percentage.

ICSE stresses more on English, whereas CBSE is more into application of science, maths, Hindi and social science. At the class XII level, CBSE has courses like graphic designing, geo-spatial course, which ensure that students get to prepare themselves as per the industry needs.

The syllabus of the CBSE is better manageable than that of other boards like ICSE/ISC (Indian Council for Secondary Education). Although a broad-based syllabus is generally perceived to be good, since it has a focused approach, it increases the load on students, thus leading to stress. A student should be given the option of studying only the basics of the language if his/her interests lie elsewhere. This choice is given in CBSE, not in ICSE/ISC.

1. Unlike in ISC, the CBSE syllabus is presented in a more scientific manner. The entire syllabus is divided into units and every unit is allotted the number of periods required to cover it in the year and also the weight age of marks it will carry in the examination. Thus, the teacher and student can plan the study of the various segments of the syllabus accordingly.

2. The examination pattern of entrance examinations (IIT-JEE & PMT) follows that of CBSE since CBSE conducts these examinations. This puts those ISC students who are interested in competitive examinations at a disadvantage as they need to reorient themselves to a different system. As ICSE also has no role to play in the above.

3. The ICSE syllabus especially for higher standards is very heavy compared to that of CBSE. ICSE has two papers in English, whereas CBSE has only one. ICSE has three papers in Science (Physics, Chemistry & Biology) whereas CBSE has only one. ICSE has two papers in Social Studies (History & Geography) whereas CBSE has only one.

4. Environmental Education is compulsory at the ICSE & ISC examinations whereas this is not so at the CBSE examination. CISCE, in a panic reaction to Supreme Court ruling regarding Environmental Education, rushed into it while CBSE is content to wait a review of this ruling where the matter may be either dropped or modified.

5. CBSE will give only grades in the examination results. This is seen as a progressive move. ICSE has not made such an announcement as yet.

6. CISCE has no academically designed process or programme for syllabi revision/upgradation, unlike CBSE which has syllabus reviewed on an ongoing basis.

7. It is a myth that ICSE is well recognized all over the world and not CBSE. Now UCAS (Universities & Colleges Admissions Service- Central organisation through which applications are processed for entry to higher education) recognizes CBSE at par with ISC.

8. CBSE students also seem to have an edge over other students when it comes to taking theUPSC administrative service examinations, such as the IAS and the IPS. However, when it comes to taking up entrance exams outside of India, for example SAT and TOEFL, teachers seem to recommend the ICSE syllabus over CBSE. In the ICSE syllabus, there’s a clear emphasis on English and its literature.

Role
    Mentor
    CBSE is best better bestest.

Role
    Parent
    Have gone thru the entire forum, there are many In-depth analysis and very clear explanation for all the basic questions and concerns with respect to CBSE and ISCE (CISCE)
    1. Difference in Examination Board, syllabus, Language, method of teaching, learning process, examination patterns, advantage in competitive examination and abroad gateway.
    Yes, just by going thru this entire forum, thinking of an Ideal Kid, Itís very clear that ISCE is best of schools.
    If we go by practical and logical though process, we have to consider the below before taking the decision
    1. What does u prefer for your child? Like an entrepreneur or an employee?
    If you think education is not for bread and butter and you are not depended on any professional employment, you can choose the Ideal Kid option
    2. Current nature of Job?
    Here if you need to stick to the same board then there may be much hindrance if you choose ISCE, since you canít be choosy w.r.t to the location preference in any city. Again if your job is stable you can choose any.
    3. If you have clear abroad travel plan (Either for Child education or for your carrier)
    In this scenario the best option is ISCE only
    4. If you donít want to take any chance in your child education and you have a clear carrier plan for them, at the same time you want to ensure that your child is on par with any best of the rest, you can just go by CBSE from any of the Top 10 School in your town.
    5. The above all is based on how you feel your kid to evolve after 12 years form today, To materialize this you have 40% responsibility as a parents (Our family culture, the way we live, the world that we show them, even the Movie/TV channels we watch, the paper we read, the friends we have and the discipline we follow. Again Itís not about teaching )
    To conclude the above suggestion is purely based on my understanding and my own back ground. Each of us has a unique way to look at.
    Thanks
    Antony

Role
    Parent

[QUOTE=vipul;121]Both have their pros and cons, there's nothing best in this world. Choose wisely.

This is correct. Two grades earlier one needs to learn the CBSE lessons if one opts for ICSE.

This is not correct. ICSE is also recognized by Govt. of India as well as all commonwealth countries.

Role
    Student
    i guess CBSE has much wider scope than icse .I heard from one of my friends and he was like " cbse will soon replace all icse affliated school"... and i also personally believe that cbse is much less complex than icse..

Quote Originally Posted by vipul View Post
    Both have their pros and cons, there's nothing best in this world. Choose wisely.

CBSE approves both English and Hindi language as the medium of instructions, CISCE or ICSE does not recommend Hindi.
    CBSE allows both regular candidates as well as private candidates from non-affiliated schools to appear in the exams.
    ICSE lays more emphasis on lab work.
    ICSE has made it compulsory to include environmental education as one of the subjects
    This is really a nice information about the CBSE and ICSE which i don't know..
    In India CBSE is more popular than ICSE..

+ Reply to Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast