Discussion Regarding New Entrance Exam for Engineering
+ Ask a Question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Discussion Title:

Role
    Supporter

A new single entrance examination (probably JEE) will replace AIEEE and IIT-JEE for admission to the centrally funded engineering colleges like IITs and NITs. The test will be applicable from next year. Share your views and write us your questions regarding the same.

Below are some Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):

How will IIT admissions change from 2013?

The IIT-JEE will be merged with the AIEEE, held so far for admission to other centrally funded technical institutions (CFTIs) such as the NITs. The new exam will be called just the JEE and will be a combined entrance test for all CFTIs, including the IITs.
    The new exam will have two sections: JEE Main and JEE Advanced. Three, candidates' performance in their Class XII boards too will count in selection.

Will the IITs and the other CFTIs follow the same selection procedure?

No. The IITs will short-list about 50,000 students as eligible for admission based on their performances in the Class XII boards and JEE Main, giving equal weightage to both. However, they will be ranked only on the basis of the JEE Advanced.
    So, candidates need to do just enough in their boards and the JEE Main to qualify — and as well as they can in the JEE Advanced to get a high rank.
    But the other CFTIs will give 40 per cent weightage to the Class XII board marks and 30 per cent weightage each to the JEE Main and JEE Advanced to draw up their combined merit list.

Will State Board students lose out because of weightage given to Class XII marks?

Some teachers think so, because the State boards are not as generous in awarding marks as other boards.

Will Class XII marks in all the subjects count?

Yes, even one's scores in the languages will be taken into account.

What sort of questions will be asked in the JEE Main and Advanced?

Both will be multiple-choice, objective-type papers. The question pattern for the JEE Advanced will be decided by the IITs'Joint Admission Board and announced in August.

Can a student make it to the IIT list as well as that of the other CFTIs at the same time?

Yes, it's possible for the best students.The IITs and the other CFTIs will hold common counselling so that the students can choose their preferred institute and course.

plz! dunt give importance to 12th score..else is fyn..!! ppl wid less grades will suffer from this..and if it has to be applied we should be told before hand so that we can manage to get good score in 2012 boards..!!

I am in Class XI and really worried about the new test because if I am unable to score good marks in Class XII board exams, I will have nowhere left to take admission as all the good colleges will take admissions through this joint test.

Actually I'm preparing the engineering in 2013, and this change in pattern confused with my strategy like should I concentrate more on my 12th or entrance exams. With a 40% weightage to the boards in the test, I have to now shift midway.

It is good to have a single exam for all the government engineering colleges but it's a bad idea to give 50% weightage to class 12th exams as this would only empower the schools who are owned by politicians and the result would be even higher donations and may be more corrupted education system.

In villages, there are either no schools or if schools are there, the strength of teachers is not sufficient to have good education environment. Such students are at disadvantage for scoring marks in 12th. However, Students from such villages come to nearby urban areas and take coaching classes to secure admission in good engineering colleges. Now such students will be at loss after taking in account of 12th marks. The boards in our country also follow different marking structures, so we need to work on calculating formulas first.

No way, the new system is going to reduce the influence of coaching centers. Coaching classes have become important because of the perception that teachers in regular colleges have neither the inclination nor the skills to help n students to clear the IIT entrance examination with high percentages.

I would suggest to first have a common syllabus for schools throughout the country so that all the students are evaluated on the same scale. Like, though Tamil Nadu is supposed to be a literate state, the students mug up and vomit without understanding the subject. Compared even to Bihar, tamil nadu does not have enough students selected in JEE.

Quote Originally Posted by mansi View Post
    It is good to have a single exam for all the government engineering colleges but it's a bad idea to give 50% weightage to class 12th exams as this would only empower the schools who are owned by politicians and the result would be even higher donations and may be more corrupted education system.

In villages, there are either no schools or if schools are there, the strength of teachers is not sufficient to have good education environment. Such students are at disadvantage for scoring marks in 12th. However, Students from such villages come to nearby urban areas and take coaching classes to secure admission in good engineering colleges. Now such students will be at loss after taking in account of 12th marks. The boards in our country also follow different marking structures, so we need to work on calculating formulas first.
    I agree with you, taking-in the 12th marks is not a good idea. Will marks in a subject like Physical Education also count in Class 12 exam?. Why not consider only subjects that matter like Physics, chemistry and mathematics marks for working out percentile?

The biggest problem is, government doesn't publish anything in clear at first. They should have cleared all our doubts regarding pattern, eligibility and all.

Role
    Student
    I have given my 12th this year...my percentage is 82 from isc board...i really don't know why kapil sibbal is doing this bullshit thing...but i can see that he is stabbing the education system really hard...this year almost 5 lakh student gave iit...14 lakh aieee...so i think almost 20lakh students will be sitting for iseet next year...and if i am not wrong iit will be taking out around 50k students after the jee mains...so remaining left 1950000 students...and almost 1 lakh seats are available there in nits and iiits...so don't you think kapil sibbal is promoting private sectors more here...because then most of the students will not have enough courage left to give iseet a second try....And my second point is we all know type of marking schemes out there in government boards...umm...if you take for instance bihar board or up board...they seem to be the toughest one...so if a student scores 60% in gov boards then in comparison to the other boards will he be considered a 90 percenter...?? And if suppose due to these elections and all going on these days...these political leaders tend to intefere in these exams....and they order to grant marks...and so now if a student scores 90% here...then will he be considered a 120% in the private boards..??Haha...its so hilarious you know...i mean sibbal is playing a practical joke with us...and we can't do anything....

Quote Originally Posted by nihal0567 View Post
    I have given my 12th this year...my percentage is 82 from isc board...i really don't know why kapil sibbal is doing this bullshit thing...but i can see that he is stabbing the education system really hard...this year almost 5 lakh student gave iit...14 lakh aieee...so i think almost 20lakh students will be sitting for iseet next year...and if i am not wrong iit will be taking out around 50k students after the jee mains...so remaining left 1950000 students...and almost 1 lakh seats are available there in nits and iiits...so don't you think kapil sibbal is promoting private sectors more here...because then most of the students will not have enough courage left to give iseet a second try....And my second point is we all know type of marking schemes out there in government boards...umm...if you take for instance bihar board or up board...they seem to be the toughest one...so if a student scores 60% in gov boards then in comparison to the other boards will he be considered a 90 percenter...?? And if suppose due to these elections and all going on these days...these political leaders tend to intefere in these exams....and they order to grant marks...and so now if a student scores 90% here...then will he be considered a 120% in the private boards..??Haha...its so hilarious you know...i mean sibbal is playing a practical joke with us...and we can't do anything....
    I accept with the down-points you mentioned (conduct, number of seats, marking scheme), except those points I think this single exam will benefit everyone. Seems like our government need to work on normalizing the marking criteria first and enhance the existing system before moving to a almost new platform. They should also think of creating more institutions to catch the demand.

Role
    Student
    I also don't think that the idea is bad...but then there should be only one board across the whole country...or maybe they should try out working on some formula...else this system is a total scrap...Kapil sibbal said that this system will take down the practice of coaching classes...but i think it'll moreover initiate it...now apart from engineering coaching a student has to do a respective coaching for class 12th...

+ Reply to Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast